Would you like to get into tech but don't have a technical background? Are you already in a tech role and want to grow and build a successful career? In this session, we'll try to answer a question that comes up often: "How can I get into tech?"
During this event, you'll hear from four successful tech professionals who will share their career stories and tips. You will discover:
- What's the best way to get your first job in a tech company
- Career tips, advice and lessons learned from successful women who have been there
- Why you don’t need a tech background to have a successful tech career
- What are the options if you are thinking about transitioning from a non-tech background into a tech roles
- What are the different roles in a startup/ tech company
- What are the tools and tactics you can use to build a network within the tech industry
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Reasoning Systematically: the Art of Integration Leadership — 2 Half‑Day Workshops [SAG Digital 2021] (Online Course on 11th - 12th October 2021)
- Agile at Scale with Joakim Sundén (Online Course on 22nd - 25th November 2021)
- YOW! December 2021 (Online Conference on 30th November - 1st December 2021)
- Leadership eXchange Forum (Online Conference on 27th January 2022)
- An Evening with TimClicks (Online Meetup on 28th September 2021)
- Personal SLAs: How to Maintain Balance at Work (Online Meetup on 30th September 2021)
- Intersectional Communication (SkillsCast recorded in September 2021)
- Product Management Helps Us Build the RIGHT Things; Agile Helps Us To Build Things RIGHT (SkillsCast recorded in September 2021)
How to break into tech (from those who made it)
Alex Farrell is a tech entrepreneur and investor focused on platforms and two-sided marketplaces. She launched the IT Job Board in 1999 and grew it become to largest tech careers platform in Europe, before selling it to Dice Inc. Since then she has built, sold and invested in a number of platforms and technology companies including Gift Wink, Workfinder and SourceBreaker. She is passionate about all things to do with work tech and lives in South West London with her son.
Kimberley Hendry is a Cybersecurity Engineer at Th4ts3cur1ty.company and the co-lead of the North-East chapter of the Ladies Hacking Society. She works with SME's to improve their cyber defence through visibility and monitoring and is passionate about simplifying cybersecurity with the aim to make everyone safer. Her role utilises technical skills such as computer networking, coding and engineering, but most importantly communication skills, creativity and problem-solving. She will talk about her experience of retraining in cybersecurity whilst being a mum to two young children and sharing practical tips she's picked up along the way.
Charlene is a User Researcher at Zaizi, a digital consultancy that specialises in designing and building public sector services. She is passionate about championing users’ needs and enjoys using a variety of research methods to understand users’ experiences. Before joining Zaizi, she worked for several years as a postdoctoral researcher at University College London. She has also worked at Microsoft Research and The Institute of Cancer Research.
Senior BI Analyst at Bloom & Wild